Tuesday, June 5, 2012

CCR update news

It's a big news day in Cricut Craft Room today. There is a program update available for download (build 151) plus there are five new CCR exclusive cartridges available.

When you next open CCR you will be prompted to update. There's no need to uninstall the current version. If you want to be able to go back to the previous version you'll need to copy all the files from C:/Program Files/Cricut-Craft Room to another directory on your computer. I create a directory on my computer and call it whatever Build it applies to eg. CCR Build 132. Then if I need to use the previous version I just click on the Cricut-Craft Room.exe file in that directory.

So, what's new in this build?

Well, first - what it doesn't have is the much anticipated Gypsy Link option. (Although it has been renamed to Gypsy Sync. Is that progress?)

Also, Kate's Kitchen still isn't working with CCR. (The images show up on the keypad but nothing happens when you click on one of the keys.)

One other setback (for me anyway) is cutting with the Imagine. Where before I rarely had a problem printing and cutting with the Imagine, now my mat is being spat out after the image is printed. I'll keep working on that and see if I can get it working. (I never give up!!!)

Edited to add: So it appears it's not just me that is having the Imagine cutting problem with this update. If you have an Imagine and want to use CCR you will have to use Build 132. I mentioned above that you can save previous versions to your computer so you can go back to them. You'll find more info with instructions and a link to the files that you'll need to download if you've already installed Build 151 here:   http://cricutcraftroomblog.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/using-old-build-of-ccr.html





On to what is new...

Here's the blurb from the notices section of CCR with my comments:


Cricut Craft Room™ update: June 5, 2012

  • New image insertion cursor! Click on the virtual mat to position the cursor. Click an image from the image drawer and it will add to the mat to the right of the cursor.
I love this feature! Although it would be nice if the cursor could be a little less intrusive, maybe by making it grey instead of black. The size of the cursor will be dependant on what you have set as your Dial Size in the Options menu, Craft Room tab. 

Just single click somewhere on your mat and wherever your cursor is, is where your object will be placed. No more having to move images around or drag them from the keypad to where you want them. 
  • Cricut Expression®, Cricut Create®, and Cricut® Personal Cutter machines have a new load and unload mat buttons. Now you can leave your mat loaded between cuts! This makes it easy to align scoring, drawing and cutting.
This is great news! Do I smell the scent of TBBM2 arriving in CCR soon? Breaking news... TBBM2 is now on CCR!!!
  • Cricut Expression 2 (1000 fw version) now can automatically cut from Cricut Craft Room™ with the Cricut Alphabet and Cricut Essentials cartridges.
Good news for all those who have the 1000 firmware version E2's who haven't been able to cut with their pre-loaded cartridges in CCR!
  • Sort your saved projects two ways, by name or by date modified!
I've been hoping they'd add something like that. 
  • Bug fixes for placement of certain images
  • Bug fixes for importing Cricut DesignStudio® projects (that have been saved as .gypsy files) into Cricut Craft Room™
Hopefully I'll get time to test that out soon.
  • Cutting speed improvements for Cricut Expression 2
Loving the new speed!! I tested it out this morning and it cuts so much faster now!! Of course now I don't have time to go make a coffee while my project is cutting! 
  • ‘Save As’ added so you can easily make copies of your projects or use a project as a template.
This is in addition to the Save As that was added into the File menu. Now it appears in the menu in the top right corner of the CCR screen. 

When you go to start a new project, open another project or logout, you will be asked whether you want to save the current project. If you say NO any changes you made won't be saved. If his was a new project it will be deleted. I like this idea because most projects I create I have no need to save. Often I'm just playing around with new carts or cutting something simple that I don't need to save. Now those files won't automatically be added to my projects list.


One addition that wasn't mentioned above is that when you login to CCR now, the Cartridge library will default to My Cartridges.

If anything else crops up I'll update this post.

Now onto the new cartridges. 

Just in time for your Independence Day celebrations are Independence Day - 3D projects, Independence Day - Celebrate and Independence Day - Freedom. Also new is Bag Toppers - Summer and Doodlecharms - Life. Check them out at cricut.com!


 








Enjoy!




11 comments:

byAnnette

Thanks for the update!

There are several new features that I have been wanting and will now have!

Evelyn

It will be a BIG NEWS day when you get the gypsy issue fixed. CCR is useless to me if I can't use the more than 150 cartridges I already own.

Jamie S

Narelle, thanks for keeping us posted. I haven't had any time to visit the CCR lately, but hope to soon and am looking forward to these changes. Jamie

Narelle

@Evelyn: As I don't work for PC there is nothing I can do about the Gypsy issue. However, you can still use your carts in CCR without linking. You'll just be prompted to insert them before cutting.

Paula Vale

Narelle, the TBBM2 is now available in CCR...

Cricut Craft Room Blog

I know Paula! That's great news. :)

holly

hello! i am semi new to cricut (one year but haven't got to use all that much...=( but I updated my ccr and still can't cut off the e2 carts. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

Narelle

Hi Holly,

Have you registered your E2? You'll need to do that for the pre-loaded carts to be linked to your CCR account. The registration data base is updated each Thursday so if you do it today the carts should show as linked next Friday.

If you have registered it (and it's been at least a week) you'll need to give PC a call. They'll check and make sure your registration has gone through for you.

Mrs. Pastor

Thanks for the great information. I love CCR for my mini. Unfortunately my Imagine has never worked with it. It always does what you are describing, prints and the spits it out, or sometimes starts to cut but stops within seconds of starting It is very frustrating. I keep hoping.

Unknown

Hi! I have been in touch with provocraft this morning and they gave me a link for the Build 132 for the CCR. I couldn't get the other link to work. Thought I would pass this info on!

http://craftroom.cricut.com/betaprogram/cricut-craftroom_132.exe - PC download

http://craftroom.cricut.com/betaprogram/cricut-craftroom_133.dmg - MAC download

No news about it getting resolved.

Narelle

Thanks Linda,

I'll update my post to add those two links. That should stop me exceeding the bandwidth on my box.net account! :)

Post a Comment